Answered

Integrating detailled hardware behavior models into Unity

unity 2 years ago in realvirtual.io Starter and Professional updated by Support 2 years ago 1

Good day to you,

We have been using your asset Game4Automation Professional for a few weeks now and are very impressed with its functionalities. We quickly found out that especially the interoperability between tools and the intransparency of different company landscapes make the biggest troubles.

We also use another VIBN tool that already provides many libraries and templates for behavior models of drives, for example. These are mapped in FBD or a similar language, and there is also an image of this as XML, which can apparently be used for the external VIBN tool's C# programming. How to use this, however, we neither know for the external tool nor for Game4Automation yet. In order not to have to create a new behavior model for the drives of our VIBN in Unity every time, it would be good if we could take over the existing models completely or at least only with small adjustments. Do you already have experience with this, or do you know customers who have to deal with the same problems?

After further research we came across FMI, among others, which is supported by G4A Pro. Is this interface the right one to integrate behavior models from, for example, a Sinamics S120 drive from Siemens into Unity?

Or do we always have to access a library of an external tool for this? We can't currently test the FMI export of the other VIBN tool because it costs extra, so we'd like to make sure we're on the right track before purchasing it.

Do you furthermore have experience whether component manufacturers share the behavior models of their products with customers (especially also as FMI)?

Answer

Answer
Answered

Hi, 

FMI could be the future standard for behavioral model exchange, but currently it seems that you can't get FMUs of any component from the OEMs. And I'm pretty sure that you can't export FMUs from Simit, for example, and that Siemens doesn't provide FMUs for their own drives (Siemens is interested in selling Simit, not replacing it ;-)). Currently I would not rely on FMUs to replace own behavior models. Unfortunately, I don't see an industry accepted standard being available anytime soon. If you are a Simit user and have your own behavior models, then you can continue to use them and Simit along with Game4Automation.

I hope this helps, even though it may not be the answer I was hoping for.

Best regards

Thomas

Answer
Answered

Hi, 

FMI could be the future standard for behavioral model exchange, but currently it seems that you can't get FMUs of any component from the OEMs. And I'm pretty sure that you can't export FMUs from Simit, for example, and that Siemens doesn't provide FMUs for their own drives (Siemens is interested in selling Simit, not replacing it ;-)). Currently I would not rely on FMUs to replace own behavior models. Unfortunately, I don't see an industry accepted standard being available anytime soon. If you are a Simit user and have your own behavior models, then you can continue to use them and Simit along with Game4Automation.

I hope this helps, even though it may not be the answer I was hoping for.

Best regards

Thomas