Fixed

Bug in drive/transport unit

Bo Adam 2 years ago in realvirtual.io Starter and Professional updated 1 year ago 16

Hello,

In one of my rotating transport units (the one with the lift) the transport surface goes forwards while backwards is toggled by the drive simple script. When I disable drive simple and toggle it by hand it works fine. 

See the video for what i mean.

Unity rotating transport surface bug.mkv

Bo

Answer

Answer

Hello,

I have checked your videos. The problem is caused by the physics engine and the kinematic movement of the elements. I created a script to solve this. You have got this by e-mail. Within the next release this will also be available.

Under review

Hi Bo,

I've build up a setup similar to yours but I can't create the failure. Are there any other paramter you are using?

Hello,

What happens is the following: 

Because the "Conv" gameobject is in the "lift" group, it is moved to the parent object of the lift group (LiftCyl). The liftcyl is turned by 225 degrees, which causes the bug I reported earlier with the transform of the rotating transport unit. 

I've tried your fix for this but after the fix the carrier drops through the transport surface. 

So This bug is also caused by the bug in transportsurface.cs or by the re-ordering of the gameobjects that are in the same group.

Started

Hello,

we are currently working on a solution to solve both problems with the transport surface by making it more flexible and independent in terms of possible use cases. We use your scenario for testing.

Hi Bo, the Version of the TransportSurface, in combination with ParentDrives, in our Release 2021.07 had a Bug. We moved in current Release 2021.08 back to Version 2021.06 - with some minor enhancements. We are still not sure if your use case will fully work (Christin is testing tomorrow) but 2021.08 takes back a severe Bug of 2021.07. Sorry - we will tell you asap as we thing that all use cases are supported in combination with ParentDrives.

Fixed

Hello,

I sent the revised version of the Transportsurface as a script by e-mail. It has fixed the errors that I was able to reproduce with the test model.

Please check with your scene and give me a short feedback. Thanks.
For all other users there will be the release 2021.09 on Monday.

Hello,

The rotating units now work perfect without the offset (by just adjusting the rotation of the gameobject). 

But when I transport a carrier to the transport surface it doesn't rotate with the rotator. When I then realign it by hand it kinda works. 2022-10-31 09-19-31.mkv

There is still a problem with the rounding and the kinematic group. When I slow it down it works perfect, but the faster it goes the more it will deviate. 

Also when i slow it down in the drive cylinder script it doesnt work. It still ends up too high. When jogging manually it seems to work until i stop jogging, then it " jumps" to the position with the offset.

Im currently using the transport surface before the rotator unit to lock the carrier rotation on enter (and i have set none at the exit and at the enter of the rotator unit) but the boxes for locking the rotation stay ticked. When I manually untick them there is no clear difference in performance.

2022-10-31 11-35-32.mkv

you can see here that sometimes the carrier doesn't rotate the same amount as the transport surface and drive. This causes it to bug into the walls and jump up. Sometimes it happens after the first round, sometimes it takes a lot of movements, it is not predictabale. This is all with a rotation unlocked carrier because of the fact that the boxes dont untick when transitioning from the conveyor to the turn unit (so I turned the rotation lock off completely for this part).

Answer

Hello,

I have checked your videos. The problem is caused by the physics engine and the kinematic movement of the elements. I created a script to solve this. You have got this by e-mail. Within the next release this will also be available.

Hello,

I've added the scripts. It works when i put the carrier on the transport surface, but not when I use another conveyor to put it on. You can see in the video what i mean.

Still the carrier won't turn the first time with the rotating unit and the lift gives the offset. 
I also get a missing component exeption (for a rigidbody) for some components on the carrier I use in combination with a collider but with no rigidbody.

2022-11-07 09-34-40.mkv

Started

Hello,

can you please upload a scene that includes this part? The link is still the same. Nevertheless, the Unity physics needs a rigidbody and a collider to work properly.

Currently exporting the scene.

I've added rigidbody's to these objects (they are just there for the collisions of the rounded corners of the baseplate). 
The rotating unit now seems to work, just the lift gives me errors.

Fixed

I have made some slight changes without any further adjustments to the scripts. The kinematics group is no longer necessary

for the lift. I also adjusted the collider to the transport surface of the lift and set the parameters of the drive. The scene is available as a download for you.

Hello,

I've downloaded the package but nothing seems changed in the lift. It also still has the bug with the rounding. Removing the kinematic group script by hand did not fix the problem.

Are you sure you send me the right package?