Answered

Relationship between the number of points of parameters managed by the OPCUA server and the communication cycle.

h-morishita 11 months ago in OPCUA4Unity updated by Support 10 months ago 13

When the number of parameters managed by the OPCUA server is increased (from 30 to 120),

The values are being sent in bits and pieces.

Does the frequency of communication decrease in proportion to the number of parameters?

Answer

Answer
Under review

Yes the performance should go down. It also depend on the subscription parameters and server settings, e.g. how often updates are sent. If there are many parameters which are changing very fast it might make sense to poll the variables instead of subscribing to them. But all depends on the application you are building.

Answer
Under review

Yes the performance should go down. It also depend on the subscription parameters and server settings, e.g. how often updates are sent. If there are many parameters which are changing very fast it might make sense to poll the variables instead of subscribing to them. But all depends on the application you are building.

Thank you for answering my question.

Is there a correlation chart between performance and registered parameters?
If it exists, I would like it.

How can I set up polling?

You can select it here:

Image 902

Thank you very much.

Could you also answer the following questions?
Is there a correlation chart between performance and registered parameters?
If it exists, I would like it.

We don't have any correlation chart available. 

In some cases it might be a good way to get the values by c# code - by this you can controll the update rates in a very detailed way - how to access it via code can be found on this page here:

https://doc.realvirtual.io/components-and-scripts/interfaces/opcua

[Result]

I tried with the polling checked, but it got worse. (It froze and stopped working.)

[Questions]

1. When I checked the script I described in reference to the sample,
    I found that the "ReadNode function" is called with "FixedUpdate" when polling is enabled.
    Is this correct?
    Or is it intended to be used in a way that the user can play with whether it is called at "FixedUpdate" or at some other cycle?
  2. If polling is not enabled, how and at what period do you read the OPC server?

[Prediction of what is happening]
When polling was disabled, we can communicate piecemeal, although it was not clear which function was being called in which cycle.
When polling was enabled, the "ReadNode function" was set to be called in a fast "FixedUpdate" cycle, which increased the number of calls and the load on Unity itself, resulting in a super drop in FPS.

Hi, you are right - polling is currently in FixedUpdate. We should implement in the next release a cycle time when the Read is done so that you can slow it down. Currently only way for slowing the polling down is to call the ReeadNode function manually in a custom method. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Thank you very much.

We should implement in the next release a cycle time when the Read is done so that you can slow it down.

1. When do you plan to release it?
  2. Are you planning to implement it for sure?

Could you also answer the following questions?

2. If polling is not enabled, how and at what period do you read the OPC server?

1.)  we can do a beta for this until end of next week

2.) yes

Weather you read in code or you subscribe to the variables. If you subscribe to the variables it depends on the subscription parameters. There is a (requested) subscription publishing interval. It also dependes on the server settings how ofthen the subscriptions are published.

Is it possible to get a beta version?

Yes you will get a beta asap.

Answered

We released a new version including what you requestet. It is version 2021.17. You can find it on the Unity Asset Store and on our download pages - depending where you purchased it.